Falls are the leading cause of injury deaths among people 65 and older. In our area, 34% of 911 calls are for falls of elderly citizens.
This is a reminder to protect yourself by:
1. Exercise regularly to improve strength, balance and coordination
2. Improve Home Safety:
- Remove small rugs, cords and clutter from pathways.
- Install grab bars near tub and toilet, and non-slip mats in tub and shower.
- Use a step stool with a grab bar; never stand on a chair.
- Maintain good lighting throughout your home; keep flashlights handy.
3. Personal Safety:
- Review medications with your healthcare provider to identify medicines that cause dizziness or sleepiness.
- Sensitivity to alcohol increases with age and can interact with some medications adversely.
- Have yearly vision checks.
- Wear sturdy shoes and avoid slippers.
- Get up slowly from bed or chair.
- Use a cane or walker, if needed.
Let's stay healthy together!